Easy, flavorful, rich and creamy mac and cheese!
INGREDIENTS – Cheese Sauce makes 6 servings
- 2 Tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ lb. cream cheese
- 1 ½ lb. processed cheese * (i.e. Velveeta)
- ½ lb. aged cheddar cheese, grated (i.e. Tillamook)
- 1 lb. box of cavatappi or elbow mac
- Kosher salt to taste
- Whole milk to taste
- Place heavy cream in a heavy bottomed sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile dice Velveeta and cream cheese into large cubes. Once the cream comes to a simmer, add the garlic powder and black pepper and turn to low heat.
- Slowly incorporate Velveeta and cream cheese while whisking. Season with salt to taste and keep warm.
- Boil 4 quarts of water and season liberally with salt. Add the pasta and cook al dente, 2-3 minutes less than recommended cooking time.
- Strain, while hot, add to the warmed sauce and begin to stir vigorously. Adjust the consistency of the sauce with milk to your desire.
- Add half the grated cheese and stir until fully incorporated and hot. Dish either into ovenproof ramekins for individual portions or into a large casserole dish for a family style share.
- Top with remainder of grated cheese and bake or broil until golden and crispy.
*At Barton G the Restaurant we’ve developed a cheese sauce base through a process using various salts (i.e. sodium citrate) that allows the natural cheese in that base to be pliable without separating or curdling under high heat. A processed cheese product would offer a very similar outcome and ensure a smooth and creamy sauce that can be baked, broiled for a crispy top without the risk of “breaking” or curdling.