This recipe is has been an evolving dish at VDL. I absolutely love the spices from Africa and tend to cook with them often.Serve 4
Roasted Carrots & Beetroot:
- 1 kg carrots
- 1 kg beetroot
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt & pepper as needed
- Pre heat oven to 180˚C. Peel and clean the carrots then cut in half. Place into a roasting tray, rub with the oil, honey, cumin seeds and season.
- Roast covered with foil for 15min and then uncovered until cooked through and caramelised.
- Peel and clean the beetroot and cut into about 1.5cm rings. Place into a roasting tray, rub with the oil, honey, cumin seeds and season.
- Roast covered with foil for 10min and then uncovered until cooked through and caramelised.
Butter Bean Hummus:
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas – drained
- 4 cloves black garlic
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Mont du Toit EVOO
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Process the beans in a food processor until a paste forms. Add the garlic, and pulse.
- Add the thanini, cumin, coriander, paprika & cayenne pepper. Switch the machine on and whilst running, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle.
- Add the lemon juice and season. Check consistency, if it’s too thick add 1 tbsp of chilled water at a time to get smooth paste.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 1 whole dried chilli
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Kashmirii masala
- 1 bay leaf
- Dry fry all the spices in a pan, once you can smell them, add the masala and toss for another 20 seconds.
- Add the butter and melt bringing it just up to boiling point, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- 100g tamarind
- 100g red onion
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 small green chilli – deseeded
- Cook the onion with the spices, add tamarind and blend. Set aside.
- 1 cup full cream plain yoghurt
- 100g roasted cashew nuts
- 10g deep fried curry leaves
- 10g fresh coriander
- ¼ cup curry pickled chilli’s – (any spice shop)
Put big dollops of the bean hummus and full cream plain yoghurt on the platter. Then the carrots & beetroot. Dress with the tamarind chutney and warm spiced butter. Finish with the pickled chilli, roasted cashew nuts and curry leaves and top with fresh coriander leaves