Everybody loves ice cream and when its homemade its even more special! Add a few other yummy bits n bobs and its heaven on a plate. This easy recipe from Chef Bongani Khubeka will have everyone wondering where you got such skills from!
- 250 ml sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 lemons (zested and juiced)
- 1 litre cream
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half and de-seeded)
- 200 ml egg whites
- 100 g butter (soft)
- 100 g Icing sugar
- 100 g Egg whites (room temperature
- 130 g castor sugar
- 80g flour
- 50 ml strawberry coulis
- 5 ml lemon juice
- Tuille biscuit
- Blue berries for garnish.
- Ice Cream: In a sauce pan, bring the cream and vanilla pod to the boil.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients into a bowl and whisk. Add the boiling cream mixture slowly into the eggs, whisking all the time.
- Return the egg custard into the sauce pan and cook (double boiler style) until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool in an ice bath. Transfer to a ice cream machine and churn until done. Store in the freezer.
- Meringue: using a clean bowl, combine the egg whites with the lemon juice. Whisk until past the foam stage.
- Start adding the castor sugar- a little at a time until its all absorbed by the egg whites.
- Keep whisking until stiff peaks.
- Using a greased oven tray lined with grease proof paper, spread the meringue onto the tray and bake at 140 degrees until a crust forms on the meringue but the middle is still under cooked. Remove and allow to cool.
- Tuille: Cream butter and icing sugar. Add the egg whites slowly until combined. Sift in the flour and combine. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- On the back of a greased baking tray, spread the biscuit mixture about 3mm thick. Bake in a preheat oven at 180 degrees until golden brown, roughly 6-8minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cook and harden.
- Plating: Break off a third of the biscuit and crush it using a wooden spoons to make crumbs. Set the crumbs on the plate in a line
- scoop a single spoon of ice cream and lay it in the middle of the line of crumbs.
- Break off the meringue and set it at the top of the line.
- Break off biscuit and place it in between the meringue and ice cream.
- Garnish with a few dots of strawberry coulis and blue berries. Garnish with mint.