- 6 fresh curry leaves
- 5 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 can crushed Italian tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon elachi /cardamom powder
- 250ml of vegetable stock
- Glug of olive oil
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C Season flour with salt and pepper. Roll shanks in flour. Dust off excess.
- Heat oil on high in an oven proof dish. Brown the lamb shanks on all sides. Remove and set aside. Turn down heat and add the onions and curry leaves to the pot.
- Once golden, stir in garlic and ginger. Add turmeric, elachi, cumin, coriander powder and masala. Stir for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, yogurt, vegetable stock and the lamb shanks. Take off the stove, cover with lid, or foil, if dish doesn’t have a lid, and place in oven for an hour.
- Reduce the heat to 150 degrees and cook for another 2 hours or until the lamb is falling off the bone. If your shanks are bigger, cook longer.
Serve with jasmine rice and/or seasonal veg