With cauliflower puree, mushrooms and chicken jus.
You may choose to do this with either a whole chicken, or with quarters and breasts. One whole chicken (1kg – 1.2kg) will give you 2 portions. If using whole chickens you will have an amazingly intense jus. Dislocate quarters at the joint and then slice cleanly through to remove off the carcass before you begin the rest of the recipe. Then with the breast slide up make a clean cut through the middle and work each breast off the bone. You may take the wings off as well and use them for snacks or leave them on to give your stock more depth. Try to use free range chicken, you will taste the difference
Ingredients Chicken roulade:
- 4 x chicken quarters
- 4 x chicken breasts (chopped up)
- 400g brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 leek washed and sliced
- Lay chicken quarters on the board lengthways and make an incision from one end to the other down the bone. Then slowly work the meat off the bone so you have one flat piece of meat.
- Place all bones in oven with carrots, onions and leeks and roast till brown. Remove from the oven and deglaze with a cup of water. Pour into a pot and cover with water.
- Slowly simmer for 2 hours. If you want a more intense jus pour a litre of Woolworths chicken stock into the pot too. Strain and then reduce until the flavour is intense. Thicken if need be.
- Heat 2 tsp oil until smoking. Sear mushrooms and season. Sauté till soft, remove from pot and then add a bit more oil and sauté onions till soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool place in the food processor with the chicken breast and blend till almost smooth.
- Lay 3 layers of cling wrap on the counter. Place the deboned chicken from the quarters on the cling wrap. Season with salt.
- Place stuffing in sausage shape in the middle of chicken from left to right. Pick the ends of the cling wrap closest to your body and fold it over the to the other side to create a sausage shape.
- Grab each end and roll along the length of the table to make a tight sausage. Tie both ends keeping a firm piece of chicken.
- Complete the rest of the chickens. Bring a pot to a light simmer. Place a dish towel folded into a square at the bottom of the pot to prevent the plastic touching the bottom of the pot. Drop the 4 roulades in and cook for 1 hour. Take out and drop into ice water to cool.
Ingredients Cauliflower puree:
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- Wrap each head of cauliflower with a little oil and salt in foil and place in oven at 180 degrees for 30 mins to 45 mins until soft.
- Unwrap and cut cauliflower into florets. Place half in a pot. Add cream and butter and reduce till thick. Blend and season. Set aside.
- Assortment of mushrooms
- Left over cauliflower florets
- Micro greens
- Powdered beetroot( fresh grated beetroot, dried on a low heat and blended to a powder)
- Unwrap chicken, place in a baking tray, add cauliflower florets, salt and oil and cook on 200 degrees for 10-15 minutes until brown.
- Heat cauliflower puree and sauté mushrooms. Pull cauliflower puree with a spoon on the plate.
- Cut each roulade down the middle, brown off and heat through in the oven. Arrange both pieces on the plate with mushrooms, cauliflower, micro greens and gnocchi if you have. Dust with beetroot dust and serve with jus on the side. Enjoy.