“Come Cook with Deena Naidoo, powered by the Fry Family Food Co.” took place at the Sibya Casino, making use of their outdoor boma. The weather more than played its part, and participants were treated to a beautiful morning of cooking demos, food, health talks and prizes – all courtesy of Fry’s.
Prawns & Tomato Salsa | FRY’S BATTERED PRAWN-STYLE PIECES WITH B-WELL GARLIC OIL
- Makes 10-12 skewers
- Difficulty: easy
- Prep time: 12 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
Ingredients Fry’s Battered Prawn-Style Pieces:
B-Well Canola Oil for frying
- Purple onion, chopped
- Cherry tomatoes sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- B-Well garlic oil
- Salt and pepper
- B-Well Tangy Mayo
- Chilli flakes and black salt
- Skewer the prawns and fry in 180 degrees oil, drain and season with chilli flakes and black salt.
- Make the salsa by combining the onion, tomatoes, coriander, salt, pepper and mayo.
- Serve with the prawns.
Cape Malay Coconut Curry served with Charred Apricots | FRY’S SPICY PIECES IN A CAPE MALAY COCONUT CURRY SERVED WITH CHARRED APRICOTS
- Serves: 4 – 6
- Difficulty: easy
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients Cape Malay coconut curry:
- 2 boxes Fry’s Spicy Curry Pieces
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of your favourite masala curry mix
- 1 tin coconut milk
- Charred apricots:
- 250 g (1 packet) dried apricots
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- handful of sultanas
- handful of roasted cashew nuts, crushed
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
Method Charred apricots:
- Skewer the dried apricots on satay / kebab sticks, drizzle with oil and season with cracked salt and pepper. Cook over hot coals, turning frequently until charred.
Method Cape Malay coconut curry:
- Heat a little of the oil in a skillet, add the onion and fry until golden, then add the garlic. Fry for 30 seconds, then add the curry masala and the remainder of the oil.
- Fry until combined.
- Reduce the heat, then slowly add the coconut milk, stirring until all is combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the Fry’s Spicy Curry Pieces.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the sultanas, cashew nuts and fresh coriander. Serve the charred apricots on the side. Season with cracked salt and pepper.
- Serve with vegan flatbreads (optional) that have been brushed with olive oil and grilled.
Tuna-Style Snacks | PREPARED BY PRAVIT PREMLAL
- Preparation time 15 minutes
- 250g Fry’s Meat-Free Polony, finely grated
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Green chilli, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp B-Well Mayonnaise, add more if desired
- Salt to taste
- Mix all of the above mentioned ingredients together to create a smooth paste.
- Spread on whole wheat brown bread to make a sandwich and can be served on a bed of lettuce.
- Spread on any salty biscuits and have as an open snack.
- Put in vol-au-vent cups or pastry and have as a finger treat.