The Esplanade Zagreb Hotel, situated in the heart of this historic city is an art deco icon revered throughout the region and lauded for its impeccable standards of service.
Dating back to 1925, the Esplanade has always been at the heart of Zagreb’s social scene and can count presidents, politicians, film and music stars amongst its many distinguished guests. Its famous Oleander terrace was once described as “where the Balkans end and where civilization begins”.
The hotel, reopened in 2004 after a complete renovation, is designed to seamlessly merge the best modern comforts with the art deco tradition of the region. Zagreb is a blend of the baroque, Austro-Hungarian architecture, art nouveau, deco and contemporary design and has been central to the zeitgeist of style for well over a hundred years.
At the beginning of the 20th Century, the two best – known inns of the time became too small for the increasing number of travellers arriving in Zagreb on the famous Orient Express train.
As the recently opened Palace hotel, on Zrinjevac Square, could not satisfy the needs of a growing town, the building of a new luxurious hotel became a necessity. The hotel was to be built on a large field, near the railway station – at that time the only link with Europe and the rest of the world.
In 1917 the international tender was opened, with participation of many outstanding architects of that time, including the famous Swiss Alfred Loos, who however did not win the contest. The winner was a German Otto Rhenig, whose original plans have been alternated by Croatian well known architect Dionis Sunko, who today is considered as architect of this masterpiece of belle epoque building.
The name “Esplanade”, meaning “field” has been given to the Hotel.
1. Conde Nast Traveler Gold List + Platinum Cercle – only Croatian hotel
2. Conde Nast Traveler Magazine – Readers Choice Award – among 100 best hotels in SE Europe
3. Expedia Insiders’ Select List 2013
4. TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for the Hotel, Zinfandel’s and Le Bistro Restaurant
5. HolidayCheck Quality Selection 2013
6. Riso Gallo – included Ana Grgić’s risotto among 101 best in the world
7. The Great Rail Journeys Award
8. Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Winner 2013 – in all three categories: the best hotel, the best service and the best luxury hotel in Croatia
THE MANY FIRSTS OF THE HOTEL:
• First luxury hotel in Croatia
• First to serve Champagne by the glass
• The first Casino opened in 1967
• First Snack bar, 1970
• First French Bistro, 1986
• First one served coffee with a small chocolate on the side
• Tiramisu – an Italian dessert – introduced for the first time at the Bistro
• First time celebrated Valentine’s Day in Croatia, 1989
• The first hotel in Croatia to be privatized, 1992
• The best wine cellar in the country with 400 different kinds of wine from all over the world. The first time that famous Californian or Australian wines have been offered to Croatian public.
HOME TO THESE celebrIties :
Tina Turner, David Backham, U2, Backstreet Boys, Guns’n’Roses, Depeche Mode, Sting, Orlando Bloom, Robbie Williams
Mihanoviceva 1, 10000 Zagreb, CROATIA
T: +385 1 4566 666
Twitter: Esplanade Zagreb
Facebook: Esplanade Zagreb Hotel