cooked whole lobsters, halved lengthways, cleaned
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
80ml (1/3 cup) dry white wine
410ml (1 2/3 cups) warm milk
40g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
Salt & ground white pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1. Remove meat from lobster shells. Coarsely chop and set aside until required.
2. Place the lobster shells, cut-side up, in a large roasting pan. Preheat grill on high. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
3. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a flat-edged wooden spoon, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Gradually add the wine, whisking constantly with a wire balloon whisk until mixture is smooth.
6. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until smooth and combined.
7. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3-4 minutes or until sauce boils, thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
8. Add the cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
9. Spoon lobster mixture evenly among shells. Cook under preheated grill, about 6cm from the heat source, for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat.