Jennifer du Toit Executive Chef Gigi’s Brasserie
Poached Prawn, Mint, Rocket and Pea Consommé with Beetroot Cream
Ingredients (Serves 3)
9 each Large Prawns, cleaned, shelled
500 ml Clear Vegetable Stock
1 small punnet Rocket Leaves, rinsed
12 each Mint Leaves, rinsed
30 g Peas, cooked
50 ml Orange Liquor
1 small bunch Thyme, rinsed
100 g Beetroot, cooked
50 ml Fresh Cream
Edible Flowers, for Garnishing
Salt, for seasoning
- In a medium sized pot, heat the orange liquor, thyme, and 500ml water. Simmer gently for 5 minutes and strain. Keep liquid hot.
- Make the beetroot cream; blend together the cooked beetroot and fresh cream until smooth. Season with salt.
- In a blender, blend the vegetable stock, mint leaves, rocket and half of the peas together. Strain through muslin cloth and set aside. Season with salt. Heat and keep warm.
- Poach the prawns in the orange liquor liquid, simmering gently for 30 seconds. Remove and season the prawns.
- To serve; Pour the pea consommé into a bowl, add the cooked peas, poached prawns and flowers.
- Spoon the beetroot cream into the consommé or serve on the rim of the bowl.